Analog in a Digital world?

I was thinking that I would like to have a better camera than the one that comes with the smart phone. I take a lot of pictures and there are times when I am using the phone for navigation or communication at the time I want to take a picture. So then, that got me thinking about what type of camera would be useful for me. I think it should be small and easy to use, no little bitty buttons that are hard to see. I found a used digital Cannon ELPH on eBay and ordered it, I will see how it goes. Years ago, in the late 70’s I got “into” photography, I bought a nice 35mm SLR camera and a couple lenses. I took a photography course and learned to develop film. The cool thing that I got pretty good at was developing slide film in a black plastic garbage bag...no dark room needed. I know it was a lifetime ago but I still remember shooting film was a whole process that was made history by the advent of cheap digital cameras. Over the past couple of years I have been reading about the return of photography with film cameras, people claiming there is some “feeling” or “detail” that is lost by the ones and zeros of digital,...Oh COME ON! Really??? What is it that I am missing? I could not tell you what images were captured on film vs digital. Maybe its just me but, what is so great about having to go buy film, taking a whole roll of pictures (oh and by the way, 24 pictures only) hauling those rolls around, dropping them off at the drug store, go back and pick them up, only to realize that maybe 2 images were useable? Please. OH and don’t forget the whole vinyl record thing... what is next? Maybe rotary dial analog hard wired phones? I can hear the rhetoric now...”Oh man, you can’t have a real conversation unless you are on a 1965 rotary wall phone”. I think this whole vintage thing is ok, and I don’t want you to think that I am just some grumpy old guy, I do get it. In my mind it is a whole generation searching for a break from the digital world that they were born into. I don’t know the year or all the names we assign to different generations but somewhere around 1990 kids were born and grew up in a saturation of digital information. I get it but still, I am not embracing a wall of vintage vinyl or disappointing, expensive Kodak film. It was just the other day when we were talking about how the art of letter writing has been lost to the digital age, I agree but I also realize that without the ease of digital communication, there is a good chance that I would not be writing to you now. So, I guess I will jump on my 1972 Schwinn, pedal down to the corner drugstore, see if my pictures are in, get a cherry coke from the soda fountain and look through the record albums.

Comments