Baker Street

I saw on the news last night that Gerry Rafferty died. Man, you know some songs capture a vivid memory where you can almost put yourself right back there. Baker Street is one for me, April 1978, Washington, DC. “This city desert makes you feel so cold. It's got so many people but it's got no soul”


So looking ahead, I reset my ODO back on New Years and I have a whole 68 miles on as of today. I have been cranking along on the winter beater with the generator humming on the tire and the frog lEDs blinking away. It is kind of fun rolling through the cold air sourrounded by total black with the feeble headlight focused on the white line. What I really need is a handle bar mounted Kleenex box as the cold air makes my nose run constantly.
I have been working on my old Raleigh 10 speed conversion. I converted the bike to run 700c wheels last fall which allowed enough room for full fenders with space to run 38c tires. Recenty I scored a vintage triple crank and I installed that last week. One PIA with this setup is that the rear dropouts are only spaced 125 for the ten speed setup and fitting the modern wheel set was a struggle. I got brave last night and using Shelton Browns instructions, I respaced (Bent) the rear triangle to meet the 130mm modern hub requirements. I was a little nervious but it came out great and the frame is still in alignment. This is going to make road side flat repairs a breeze.

Comments

  1. Trainer miles don't count! How far did you go? Uhh I went down to my basement and...well then back upstairs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment