Turkey Hill

One of my top favorite bike rides is the Turkey Hill loop. Turkey Hill is a steep long, heart pounding climb on the county line between Milan and Elizaville. I like to approach from the falls in Elizaville and climb to the summit. Then it is a thrilling drop down into Rock City and on to Red Hook where you can get good coffee and treats. I did this very loop on glorious Saturday except did the loop “backwards” from my normal direction and skipped the Red Hook stop. Either way you wind up hitting Turkey Hill at about the 16 mile mark. The new Pacer climbs pretty good, but every traverse of this route has me thinking of converting to a compact crank up front. The down hill in this direction will yeld speeds near 40mph. I passed many bikers on the 39 mile loop with opportunities to continue my “Bike Greeting” data collection. I saw a guy tying plastic Easter eggs to trees in his front yard, hundreds of little pastel plastic eggs, each with a hole punched to accept a length of nylon fishing line….It must have taken the guy days to get then all strung up. It's another great thing about living here, the Range Rover, Stone Wall, historical marker Mansion and the Easter egg, pink Flamingo, NASCAR flag, pre-fab house co-existing in plan sight of each other.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ny/germantown/678125519752479481

Comments