Bike wash

Last night was the first time I’ve been caught in the rain on the Surly. After work chores caused me to not get out on the road till after 6:30 pm. By 7:30 the sky was getting dark and I was cranking along, still about 6 miles from home. I was thinking to myself that it is getting on to that time of year when I might want to carry the frog lights, when the first flashes of lightning drew me away from my thoughts. Moments later the first big drops of rain started stinging my eyes. I hunkered down and headed on. Up in the distance I saw Mister Potts roadside fruit stand and rolled in under the overhang. Well, “this ain’t so bad”, I thought, I did not get soaked, I have all these nice peaches and plums, the shower will pass and I will not have to spend a bunch of time drying, cleaning and oiling later. I made a call to the Queen, just to let her know that I am ok. I enjoyed a 47 cent peach, as all I had was 47 cents and there was not a “per peach” price on the hand lettered sign that was stapled to the stand. I dropped my change into the honor box and though how good it is to be here and how much we need this rain. I watched as a guy putted past on his Harley, grimacing through the now pouring down rain while I sat quite smug and pleased with my good fortune to be kicking it here under the corrugated tin roof of the peach stand. Within 15 minutes the rain let up, the thunder was drifting off into the distance and the road was shedding the water into sporadic puddles. Sending my peach pit off into the orchard from where it came, I strapped on the helmet and started out. Well…. The setting sun actually made an appearance from over the Catskills for a minute or so and I was still basking in my good luck when the wind started to howl and the rain came back with a vengeance. I don’t think I have gotten as wet from swimming as I was during those last 5 or 6 miles. There were branches coming down, lighting cracking, I think I saw a possum blow across the road; I was traveling by feel alone, with the fog line as my guide. When I arrived back at Uphill, I rolled into the shop and accessed the situation. I actually poured water out of my shoes! The poor brooks saddle was soaked and my phone was dripping water. I dried everything up and took a hot shower. This morning the phone is working and my Snowproof and kiwi wax treatment that I used on the saddle this spring saved the day. The funny thing is I had considered taking the Raleigh with the fenders but for some reason (too lazy to air it up) grabbed the surly.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading this, It was very well written. -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only ride in the rain... When we have to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment