Ratios

I was cleaning up the dumpster Fuji on Sunday and I noticed that it has one of those Alpine stacks of cogs on it. The large cog is a 32 and the small is a 14. It is a pretty wide range for 6 speeds and not real great for normal road riding. I guess that is how they get away with the 52/42 rings on the front. So that got me thinking and I went out to the shed and pulled out another old 12 speed that I fixed up last summer. This bike had a really cheap crank that I replaced with a no name compact and cartridge bottom bracket.
Within a few minutes I had the Alpine rear wheel on the bike with the compact crank.
This setup gives me a bike with a 34 front to a 32 rear……Look out Platte Clove because I now have the gear for the accent. I tested it out around town and went down to the town boat launch, the climb back out was nothing on it, I wasn’t even down in the granny.
Now if it doesn’t rain on Friday, I am going for it.

Comments